Friday, April 15, 2005

New focus and rededication

It turns out that I find blogging rather dull. I'm not interested in sharing with the world the bulk of my thoughts, perhaps explaining once and for all why I am not a writer. However, I enjoy reading themed blogs. Political blogs, discussions of gender, craft blogs, food blogs, etc. I like seeing things develop. And so it occurs to me that what might be interesting in a blog are not my reflections on the weather (mundane) or my recipe for dinner last night (popcorn), but an actual log. And since what I'm interested in right now is consumerism in America I'm going to create a diary of my daily purchases. Boring you say? You're not fascinated by the ways in which the urge to buy is played out in an individual consumer? Well, there are plenty of other blogs out there for you.
OK, so what counts as a purchase? I believe I am a consumer every time money changes hands. That means that I'm still purchasing my education every month in the form of student loans. I'm purchasing my health care when I see the doctor. Therefore I’m going to record all monetary transactions. In order not to bore myself I will not include items that are deducted from my paycheck before I get it (which in my case includes not only taxes, social security, Medicare, and health insurance, but also rent). I will trust, dear reader, that both you and I will remember that in the midst of my spending I am also purchasing the items that such deductions confer.
I’ll try to keep things fresh by including some information about what informs my purchasing decisions, etc. I’ll celebrate the days in which I manage not to buy anything (harder than you think). I’ll start today.* We’ll see how long this lasts.

*In case you were wondering, I will not be listing the prices of everything I purchase. While I'll be sure to pass on any particularly good deals, I'm not going to tell you the exact amount of money changing hands. After all, I'm not sure I'm comfortable having you know just how shitty my health insurance really is.

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Iason said...

Wow. That's a totally intensely interesting idea. Keep it up, or I'll yell at you. A lot. Yeah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home